Wednesday 25 April 2012

Should we obey the law?

Oh boy, I hesitate to wade into this one because I'm sure to step on some people's toes. I know that people have some strong beliefs on this issue and I want to apologise in advance for some of the thoughts I am going to bring out here. I am not trying to antagonise you but rather to make you think and after you've read this if you don't agree with me that's fine.


Lately I have heard a lot of talk about obeying the laws of the land. I've heard it preached from the pulpit, "Obey the law, God won't bless you if you don't follow the law." Some brothers and I were talking about this over coffee recently. They were expressing their view that we need to abide by the rules such as speed laws and such. They brought up the fact that we need to set an example for others. We often ride with non-Christian brothers. Will our testimony be ruined if we break the law in some way when we are out riding with them? Will other Christians who know us doubt our salvation if they see us riding over the posted limit? If we die in an accident, will we actually lose our salvation if we were speeding when we were killed? Are we out of the will of God if we knowingly break the law?


I understand these views and I am not suggesting that we should ignore the rules or take breaking them lightly. But I have to ask, what price will we pay to obey the rules? I know many people who tippie-toe through life, being careful to never break the law, always being honest on their taxes and having them in on time, never speeding and would never answer their cell phone while they were driving. All of this sounds fine but I have to wonder, how far will we go to abide by the law of the land?


Let's just remember who controls this land we live in.



Luke 4:5  And the devil, taking him up into an high mountain, shewed unto him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time.
Luke 4:6  And the devil said unto him, All this power will I give thee, and the glory of them: for that is delivered unto me; and to whomsoever I will I give it.

Luke 4:7  If thou therefore wilt worship me, all shall be thine.

Luke 4:8  And Jesus answered and said unto him, Get thee behind me, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.
I am concerned that we, as believers in Christ, are being too weak in our lives. We are acting like the sheep that we are and not like the eagles that we should be.


I believe that hard times are coming for the whole world and especially so for the body of Christ. If you are one of those who believes we should always obey the law, what will you do when they pass a law forbidding Christians from assembling together? What will you do when they pass a law forbidding you to wear a cross around your neck? What will you do when they start issuing $200.00 tickets for having a fish sign on your car? This is persecution and it is coming! Are you going to be ready or are you going to follow along like a sheep to the slaughter?


What will you do when the government requires you to get a computer chip implanted? They will tell you that this is to eliminate crime and they will tell you that it is the law to get it done. Will you do it? Because you want to obey the law?





Rev 13:16  And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads:
Rev 13:17  And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
Obeying the law, following the rules, is taught to us from the moment we are born. We are taught to accept without thinking. We are taught to conform. Conform to society. Conform to the status quo. Conform to the world. Remember who controls the world? What does the bible say?





Rom 12:2  And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.
We are being "conditioned". Conditioning is a process where we are made more sheep-like every day. This has been going on all our lives. For generations. It is the way of the world. It is the way that the devil controls us so we can't cause him too many problems. Good law-abiding people. Controllable.


We need to renew our minds. We need to be transformed from the lowly controllable sheep that we are now to the majestic, powerful, free-soaring Eagles that God wants us to be.


Part of that mind-change is understanding that we have been set FREE. I am not saying that we should go around breaking as many laws as we can. But, if we break a law now and then, we should not condemn ourselves or our brothers because CONDEMNATION IS SIN.




John 3:19  And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
People, both Christian and non-Christian, who are religiously following all the laws of the land and speaking out against those who don't are working for the side of darkness. They are puppets of the devil and they are trying to prevent your mind from being renewed.



Rom 8:1  There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
Rom 8:2  For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
I know that this is a tough thing for many people. After all, we have been taught to obey the law all our lives. And remember that we will still have to pay any tickets that we may get, but we need to free ourselves from this mind-set of blindly following the rules. It's easy to follow along and not create waves. It would be easy for me to not speak out against this. But God never said that we would have it easy.

We need to be obedient to God. Obedience to the world's laws is OK but we need to be focusing on God first and obey Him first. I am concerned that the body of Christ cannot see the difference. We are going to find ourselves having to make a choice between them very soon and I wonder if we will be able to decide properly if we have never challenged the devil and his laws before. This will confound many.



Mat 7:14  Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
God has promised to give us help but we can't change a lifetime of "conditioning" overnight. Renewing our minds takes time and time is getting short.



Isa 40:29  He giveth power to the faint; and to them that have no might he increaseth strength.
Isa 40:30  Even the youths shall faint and be weary, and the young men shall utterly fall:
Isa 40:31  But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
Let's learn to fly like EAGLES and let's start TODAY.

1 comment:

  1. Hey brother, yup lots to think about there, I think the simplest way for me to live is if the law doesn't contradict the Bible, I can live by it, if it contradicts the Bible then it can be broken and of course I will pay the penalty. The Bible is the ultimate authority (or should be) in Christian's lives. I won't be taking the "mark" or renouncing my faith if Christianity is outlawed. If it means dying for my faith so be it. When the Bible across Canada gets proclaimed as Hate literature I guess I will be charged for possessing a few copies. God did give us intelligence and intellect to make decisions, I choose to not break the laws that do not conflict with my faith. Do I break them occasionally? Honestly yes, do I beat my self up over it or come down on people that have broken the law? Not really, it is human to screw up. I do hate having to pay speeding tickets though lol! Bless ya Brother! Moose

    ReplyDelete